350 gm pau flour sifted together with 1 tsp double action baking powder
Mix together - 180 ml lukewarm water, 40 gm caster sugar and 1/4 tsp vinegar **
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp shortening （我用canola oil）
100 gm mashed purple sweet potato （我用黄番薯）
- Combine all the ingredients [except shortening] in a mixing bowl. Knead until soft [about 5-10 minutes]. Then add in the shortening, continue to knead until soft, smooth and elastic. Add in sesame seeds and knead until well combined.
- Shape into a ball and cover to rest for about 20-30 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough and remove dough to a floured surface, divide into 2 round balls. Then divide each ball into 8 equal portions. Shape each into a ball, then roll into flat circle.
- Wrap filling with each flatten dough. Gather the edges and shape into pleated paus or round balls. Place on parchment or greased proof paper in the steaming tray.
- Leave to prove for 15 - 20 minutes or until double in size.
- Steam over high heat for 10-12 minutes in a steamer. Off heat and leave paus for a further 3 minutes before uncovering to cool on rack. This is to prevent wrinkle, rough skin [sometimes they may be a little wrinkle - probably because of proofing time but the texture is unaffected].
Filling: （食谱取自vivian pang kitchen）
~cream cheese filling
40g icing sugar
100g cream cheese
1 egg yolk
Cream butter and icing sugar till combine (hand whisk will do). Add in cream cheese and yolk. Make sure well combine before adding the next ingredient. Lastly add in cornflour and fold to combine. Keep chill until little firm to touch.
* it is a lot easy to handle and wrap with chilled cheese filling.